Hayley the Brave's Netflix Recommendations: October Edition



I wouldn't consider myself an expert on anything, really. I'm certainly not an expert at parenting, or teaching, or writing, or any of the other things I devote my time to. I'm a jack of all trades, or a jane rather, and master of none. But if there is one thing in the whole world about which I could be considered a connoisseur, it would be the masterful art of Netflixing. (Yeah, I converted that word class. What're you gonna do about it?)

So if you're struggling to find something to watch on Netflix, if you're feeling unfulfilled with your queue, allow me to offer some suggestions to brighten up your month.

If you're looking for some uplifting rom coms, look no further! Someone Like You, starring a gorgeously young Hugh Jackman opposite an adorable Ashley Judd, is a fantastically cute story about friendship blossoming into romance. The ending is a bit rushed, but it doesn't really matter. Did I mention young Hugh Jackman? The Wedding Singer is one of Adam Sandler's finest, hilarious and quotable, and the first in the Sandler/Barrymore saga. This awesomely 80s chick flick is a must see. Serendipity rounds out my romantic comedy recommendations this month. John Cusack is wonderful, as always, and this quirky story about fate is a perfect addition to any weeknight ice cream binge. 

Want something more dramatic? Check out Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Sure, Kevin Costner plays an American Robin Hood, and sure that's a little weird. But this adaptation remains one of my favorites from my youth, and if you haven't seen it, watch it now and thank me later. Looking for quirky comedies? Check out Moonrise Kingdom or The Burbs. The former is much newer than the latter, but if you have a bizarre sense of humor, you'll appreciate one if not both of them.

Speaking of a bizarre sense of humor, what if you're looking for TV shows instead of movies? I've got you covered. A new season of IFC's Portlandia hit Netflix not too long ago, and if you are as strange as I am, you will love it. It's a bit of an acquired taste, like Red Bull, but just as addicting once you get used to it. If you like realistic, hard hitting, emotional dramas, check out Friday Night Lights. It is no secret that my husband and I were obsessed with Parenthood, and after checking out creator Jason Katims's sister show, it is safe to say we are obsessed with FNL as well. Every minute of every episode gets you right in the feels. Speaking of feels, if you haven't already watched the show that invented the word "ship" and/or "shippers", its high time you watch The X-Files. With the highly anticipated revival coming in January, you're running out of time to get caught up on this pop culture phenomenon. The first couple seasons are quite dated, and the early 90s special effects and wardrobe are a little much, but if you can hang on, you'll be in for the ride of your life. If you like science fiction at all, be sure to check out Syfy's Haven and CW's The Flash. Haven is a sleeper show that is as gripping as it is unique, and The Flash is the best comic book show on television right now, and arguably of all time (and I'm including Daredevil in that list, so you know I'm serious). 

If none of these things appeal to you, maybe you just want a quick laugh, check out Anjelah Johnson's new comedy special, "Not Fancy". Johnson made a name for herself on MadTV, but her stand up is even better than her sketches. It's good clean comedy that even us Christians can enjoy. 

That's it for my recommendations. Now as any guru knows, there's always room for improvement. What did I miss on this list? Add your recommendations in the comments below!

Photo courtesy of wgntv.com

Comments

Popular Posts