A Minimal Christmas: How to Celebrate the Season Without Breaking the Bank

"'And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'
That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown."
- Linus Van Pelt

This is the first time in a long time that I haven't completed all of my Christmas shopping before Thanksgiving. I am normally very on-the-ball, meticulously plotting the presents that will go under our tree. I love Black Friday shopping, love being in the crowded stores celebrating the season. I live to find the perfect gift, to see that smile on the face of a loved one. Giving gifts has long been my favorite part of Christmas.

But this year, something changed. Perhaps its because money is and has been a little tight for our family. Perhaps its because we are closer to the Lord this year than we have been in the past. Perhaps its part of growing up, maturing. But the Tracy family has been developing a growing desire to live a minimalist life. I'm not talking no furniture or living out of a suitcase or anything, but rather, avoiding buying stuff we don't need. Recently I have become so aware of the trap that is consumerism. I love capitalism and the free market as much as the next gal, but one of the consequences of a free market is that companies and industries only care about the almighty dollar. And while I understand that, and support their right to make money, I don't have to fall for every trick and trap that these companies put in my way. I am, in many ways, a shopaholic. I buy things when I'm depressed, I buy stuff impulsively, when I see it and have to have it. I buy things simply because I get paid and I feel that I deserve to spend my hard earned money on whatever shenanigans I deem fit that week, and I'm tired of it. I'm tired of giving my money away. I'm tired of filling up my house with clothes I don't wear, movies I don't watch, games I don't play. 

My husband and I - we buy things when we need them. We buy things when we want them. We have celebrated birthdays and anniversaries throughout the year, and this year for Christmas, we had a joint epiphany: let's not buy anything. Let's not buy Christmas presents just because it's Christmas - just because companies decided that you have to buy stuff for each other. Let's not do it. If it wasn't Christmas, we wouldn't be going out and spending tons of money, so why are we doing it now? We have a two year old daughter who already has so many things, who will get spoiled by her aunts, uncles, and grandparents, and who doesn't even fully grasp Christmas yet. We have everything we need as a family, and we have a lot of debt to pay off. So, we've developed our very own minimalist holiday plan. The stress of the season is gone. We are free to focus more fully on the real meaning of Christmas. We know that in the future, our circumstances may change, and as our family grows our holiday plans will adjust. But for us, right now, this works. And we couldn't be happier about it.

If you, like me, feel too stressed at Christmas time, or you're tired of being a cog in the giant wheel of consumerism, here are some ideas to minimize your Christmas and maximize your enjoyment of the holidays.

1. Stuff Your Stockings. This year we are going to buy each other small "stocking-stuffer" gifts. That way, we get the joy of giving each other tokens of our affection without breaking the bank. The challenge makes shopping a low-stress adventure.

2. Set a Price Limit. $10. $20. $50. Look at your budget and realistically decide what you can spend this year, without getting into debt, without starving for the entire month of January, and set a price limit. It should go without saying, but always spend more money on your kids than on yourself. The gifts will mean more to them.

3. One Gift to Rule Them All. Rather than trying to fill up the space under your tree with a bunch of bright shiny gifts, buy one gift per family member. Make a special gift, something they really want or need, something unique. Again, it will make your holiday more meaningful. I'd rather open up one envelope with tickets to see my favorite band than a million boxes full of razors, socks, and lip gloss.

4. Shop Together for Yourself. Rather than loading up on a bunch of surprise gifts, go shopping together and pick out one item for yourself. This helps you ensure that a) you get something you really want b) your partner/family member doesn't spend too much money trying to impress you and c) you spend time together shopping rather than apart. You still get spoiled a bit, but in a different way.

5. The Monthly Gift Card Plan. I saw this on Pinterest. Not my idea, but totally genius. Once a month, starting in January, buy a gift card when you go grocery shopping or clothing shopping. The amount of the gift card is up to you. Put the gift cards aside, and at the end of the year, use them to go Christmas shopping. You won't break your bank, and you will have a built-in, stress free budget to work with. Obviously it's too late for this holiday season, but we're making it a goal to do the gift card plan next year!

6. Sell & Replace. Take all that stuff you don't need, clothes, furniture, DVDs, whatever, and sell it. Have a garage sale, take it to a buy/sell/trade store, put it on Craig's List. Whatever money you get from those things, use that money to go Christmas shopping. You will remove clutter from your home and replace it with things you actually need.

7. Choose Experiences Over Things. If you are going to buy presents for one another, buy experiences. Take a cruise. Go horseback riding. Get firearm training. Go do laser tag. Buy experiences, not things. Experiences will give you memories, they don't take up any space in your house, and they might even teach you a skill. Most importantly, it will guarantee that you will spend time with your family members. What is a more fulfilling gift? A tablet that will get all of your child's attention, or a weekend family getaway?

8. DIY. Even if you're not crafty, consider making something for your family members. Nothing says "I love you" like "I slaved over making this random item for you and even though it sucks I spent a lot of time on it so you should feel love and appreciated." Pinterest has some great DIY ideas. Your love for your family members and friends will increase as you make a gift for them. True story.

9. Keep Christ in Christmas. Some of you may have been thinking, "this is nice in theory, but my spouse/family/kids are not going to be on board with this minimalist thing." Maybe you're right. Kids especially will have a  hard time processing  not being spoiled as they might have been in previous years. As a family, discuss why you are taking this approach, and might I recommend keeping the focus on Christ. He is the reason for the season, after all. Continually come back to the birth of Christ, to the miracle that is His life. As we focus on Him, our selfishness fades. Our need for being spoiled by material things will disappear as we come to realize that God has given us the Ultimate Gift. 

10. Don't Save it All for Christmas Day. Make it a point to show your love, in all ways, throughout the year. As a family, we buy each other small gifts, little surprises, throughout the year. Aside from that, we make it a point to tell each other and show each other that we love one another. Love overflows from our home, and we don't need gifts under the tree to express it.

Whether you spend a million dollars or zero this Christmas, I hope you're able to enjoy a stress free, love-filled holiday, free from the pressures of consumerism and artificial demands. Ask yourself, why am I celebrating? What do I hope to achieve this Christmas? Focus on family. Focus on faith. 

Happy Holidays!


Photo courtesy of emeraldninja.com. 

Comments

Popular Posts