30 Day Writing Challenge: A Place You Would Live, But Have Never Visited



McKinney. Odessa.

Memphis. Nashville.

Texas. Tennessee.

If I were to pack my bags and move today to a place I've never been, I would choose some small town in the South. I would want to live in an old house with a white picket fence. I'd want a truck that I could lay in with my kids and look at the stars. I'd want a small piece of land we could call our own. I'd want to listen to more country music, more acoustic folk rock while drinking lemonade and eating homemade ice cream. I'd want to spend my Friday nights at high school football games, and my Sunday mornings in church. I'd want the sun to be my alarm clock, the moon to be my mistletoe, and my husband and I to grow old and gray on the front porch, reading books and playing guitar.

There's always been this small part of me that loves the idea of a rural, country life. The idea of conservative ideals, home cooked meals made with a pound of butter, real music on the radio, and neighbors who'd actually notice if you died. Maybe it's because I'm half Virden, New Mexico and half New York City. Maybe it's because I was born and raised in a southwest suburb. But I have always been a little bit country, and a little bit rock and roll.

I don't know if I'll ever bite the bullet and give up the city for the small, farm life, but if I do, you better believe I will rock that tiny town like a hurricane.

Comments

Popular Posts