30 Day Writing Challenge: Your Earliest Memory


One day, when your English teacher asks you to write a paragraph about your earliest memory, I hope you think about me. 

I hope you remember the way mommy sang you to sleep every night. I hope you remember the soundtracks from Tarzan, Frozen, and The Muppets, singles by The Killers and Andrew McMahon, and the song that I wrote, just for you.

I hope you remember nuggles on the couch watching countless episodes of Jake and the Neverland Pirates. I hope you remember hours spent playing with Barbies, brushing their hair and trying on shoes. I hope you remember bubbles at bathtime, and blankies at bedtime.

I hope you remember each time I said "I love you", and better yet, each time I showed it. I hope you remember my incessant attempts to style your wild hair, despite my absolute lack of ability and overwhelming frustration with my maladroit hands. I hope you know each brushed tangle, each broken rubber band was a token of my everlasting affection.


I hope that no matter where life takes you, even in the midst of your darkest moments, that when you're asked to recall your earliest memory, your first, and second, and third thought is of your mother who loves you more than you will ever know. 

Comments

Popular Posts